Textures are Trending October 6, 2016
Over the years there have been many different kitchen trends. Some trends have stood the test of time, such as contemporary kitchens with clean lines and a minimalistic look, while others, such as some trends of the 1980’s like country chic and a bold primary color palette, have all but faded away. For 2016 the new trend, which will likely stand the test of time is incorporating a mixture of different textures into your kitchen design and décor.
Types of Textures
- Metal– Stainless steel, copper, nickel and other metals can add a sleek, smooth finish to kitchens.
- Glass– glass provides visual interest point without sacrificing on the look of airiness or closing up the space in your kitchen. It can make a room feel eclectic or modern depending on the color and style chosen.
- Wood– wood provides a rustic, natural element that is appealing to many. It gives a space a more laidback and comfortable feel.
- Quartz– this engineered stone can provide an appealing textural element to any kitchen with its natural look and varying patterns.
- Granite– like Quarts, granite can provide a textural element to a kitchen, but is a natural stone with varying patterns and colors. Granite can provide a standout visual element for any kitchen or outdoor space.
Incorporating Different Textures
- Countertops– countertops are a great place to add a textural element with choices such as granite or Quartz. And because there are so many patterns and colors to choose from, they will work in any style of kitchen. The look of stone provides a visual contrast if paired with sleek cabinetry.
- Backsplash– there are many options when it comes to kitchen backsplashes. You can choose to extend the material used on your countertops or opt for a contrasting texture such as glass tile or even metal.
- Island– an island is often a focal point of a kitchen. Islands can be done to mimic the countertops or to add more visual complexity, you could opt for a wood island that ties into the color and style of your countertops.
- Appliances– the trend that is likely to stay for some time is having stainless steel appliances. They complement almost any kitchen style and easily coordinate with several options of kitchen countertops and cabinetry. They can work to tie a style or color palate together and make a kitchen look sleek and sophisticated.
- Cabinets– the trend in cabinetry today is sleek, glossy cabinets in white or gray. This type of style for cabinets works well with many different countertop choices, as well as blending into the overall style of many kitchens. For a more rustic look, wood cabinets can be used or open shelving mixed with glass front cabinets.
- Floors– with so many choices in flooring today, there are endless possibilities to choose from. Some may choose a wood floor for a natural textural component, while other may mix tile styles for a unique, one of kind look.
- Lighting– lighting can work in many different ways to highlight certain areas of your kitchen to create focal points, or to brighten up the entire room.
Countertops offer a great option for adding a textural component to your kitchen or outdoor space. Lexmar USA has several styles, colors, and patterns to choose from in countertops. Installing a new countertop will heighten the style of your kitchen and is easier to do than you may imagine. With minimal disruption, you can have a beautiful new countertop and the kitchen of your dreams.